5199

5199 in BR days


No. 5199 was built at Swindon in December 1934, a member of the 5101 class introduced by C.B.Collett in 1929 as a rebuild of Churchward's 3101 class. The loco spent most of its working life in the Birmingham area, working commuter trains and other local passenger services. Diesel railcars took over many duties in the early 1960s, and 5199 moved to Gloucester. However there was little work for it there, and it was soon withdrawn and sent to Barry.

After spending 22 years in Woodham's scrapyard at Barry, 5199 was purchased by the Great Western Steam Locomotive Group and moved to the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway at Toddington in 1985 for restoration. In 1988 the owners moved the locomotive to Llangollen where work continued for a while. A further move in 1990 came when the frames moved to MOD Long Marston, somewhat closer to many members of the owning group, to aid restoration. Work progressed slowly, with re-wheeling taking place on 18th June 1995, the first major milestone in the restoration.

First return to steam

5199's first move under its own steam in February 2003. (Martin Perry)

A change of circumstances saw the locomotive moved to Llangollen during 1996, and the rolling chassis was propelled to Carrog for exhibition during the Great Western weekend that year. Complications arose from the decision to send the tanks away for repair offsite, as they didn't fit on return. Much juggling was required before the side tanks, bunker, and cab roof were all refitted in 1998.

Steam gala

5199 gleams in the sun at Llangollen during its first public service duties at the Spring 2003 Steam Gala. (Ralph Tilley)

Restoration continued as fund raising via a shop at Carrog permitted, culminating in the loco's first move under its own power for 40 years in February 2003. It is now a regular performer on the Railway.

Last updated 16th Feb 2015 by  John Rutter

5199 runs round at Carrog

9th April 2005

5199 leaves Carrog

9th April 2005

5199 passes through Deeside Loop heading to Llangollen

8th May 2005

5199 facing East at Llangollen Station

9th April 2005

LINK to a video clip of 5199 on the Mold Camera Club charter train during the glorious early summer evening of 19th May 2007

The rear pony truck wheels ready for fitting in Llangollen Shed on 9th March 2008

5199 with the retyred wheels fitted except for the rear pony truck in Llangollen Shed on 9th March 2008

Shed Allocations

Tyseley

TYS?

1934

Stourbridge Junction

STB

1949

Stourbridge Junction

84F

1950

Wolverhampton (Stafford Road)

84A

1961

Gloucester (Horton Road)

85B

1963

Withdrawn

1963

Barry

1963

Toddington

1985

Long Marston

1990

Llangollen

May 1996

Principal Dimensions

Wheel arrangement

2-6-2T

Power classification

D

Nominal tractive effort

24,300 lbs

Weight

78 tons

Wheel diameters

3'2", 5'8", 3'8"

Cylinders

Two 18" x 30"

Boiler pressure

200psi

Valve gear

Stephenson

Route Availability

Yellow

Above: 5199 in her former glory.

Photos during Overhaul in 2014

Above Left to Right: Trailing hornblocks awaiting machining 5th November 2014; Chimney being fitted: New ejector ring and chimney; close up of ejector ring. Below: 5199 in the yard in early December 2014.


All photos - Dave Owen

Earlier Photos

Above Left to Right: 15th February 2015 - preparing 5199 for the road in Llangollen Yard; Kieron Rigby polishes the copper chimney cap; Tom Peacock cleans up the connecting rods.

All photos - Joseph Wellsteed

Photogallery of 5199 after completion of overhaul  in early December 2014. All photos by Richard Statham