JINTY

47298

The loco is one of the batch built by the Hunslet Engine Co. to a Midland design attributed to Fowler of 1899, itself an update of an earlier design by Johnson for a light shunting engine. Such was the urgency for the type that the newly created LMS put orders for the engines out to six of the British locomotive builders, and 7298 emerged from Leeds in November 1924, works No. 1463. The 422-strong class were used all over the LMS system in marshalling yards and carriage sidings, with the occasional branch line passenger train and regular pick-up goods trains.

Three engine history cards are available. The card for the first two years is missing, but a summary is contained on the card commenced in 1927 where it is specified as a motive power class '3' 0-6-0 Standard Goods Tank non-superheated. Initially the engine was numbered 7138, renumbered 7298 on 14th March 1935, and allocated to the Western 'A' Division of the LMS and shedded at Camden. The construction cost was £3168, charged to Capital Renewals as per RS Minute dated 29th November 1923. From 4th February 1928 the engine was allocated to Northampton where it stayed until February 1941, when it went to Willesden for 15 months, before moving on to Bletchley where it saw out the next 12 years. Its final shed was Sutton Oak, St Helens, from August 1954 until it was withdrawn.

By way of improvement to the class only one is recorded. As of 2nd September 1937, Works Order No. 4210,3098 was applied at a cost of £15.16.6d (£15.82), presumably the fitting of Ross safety valves in lieu of the original Ramsbottom type. In December 1950 the 194 copper tubes were reduced to 192 steel ones. By this time the engine had been renumbered 47298 in British Railway's series as of 7th August 1948.

During its life it went through nine boilers, averaging a boiler change every five or six years. Normally a repaired boiler from another Jinty was received, but in 1938 a new one was fitted. Ten assorted heavy overhauls were carried out, together with a range of light repairs. Derby did some of this work but Bow (North London) is also mentioned on two occasions.

Withdrawal and a move to Barry came for our example in 1966, being rescued from there in 1974 with a move to Steamport. Restoration took place there, with 7298 returning to steam in 1979. 7298 took part in the 'Rocket 150' celebrations at Rainhill in 1980 and looked a fine sight (see below).

Arrival at Llangollen came in 1983, where it has had something of a chameleon existence, variously appearing in BR black and LMS black, as well as masquerading as a certain famous blue engine at times. More recently it has stayed permanently in its most famous blue livery, visiting other railways during the course of the year, as well as starring in our own 'Thomas' events.

Shed Allocations

Camden

?

1924

Northampton

?

1928

Willesden

?

1941

Bletchley

2B?

1942

Bletchley

4A

1950

Bletchley

1E

1952

Sutton Oak (St Helens)

10E

1954

Sutton Oak (St Helens)

10D

1955

Stored

1965

Withdrawn

1966

Barry scrapyard

1966

Steamport, Southport

1974

Llangollen

1983

Principal Dimensions

Wheel arrangement

0-6-0T

Power classification

3F

Nominal tractive effort

20,830 lbs

Weight

49 tons

Wheel diameter

4'7"

Cylinders

Two 18" x 26"

Boiler pressure

160psi

Valve gear

Stephenson

'Thomas' and friend ('Old Isambard') approach Carrog with a heavily-laden train during the October 1999 'A Day out With Thomas' event. (Keith Langston)

Thomas and friend
approach Carrog?

Appearing in its LMS guise, Jinty 7298 has just run round its train at Llangollen in 1994. (Keith Langston)

7298 in Llangollen
station, 1994.

1993: in Llangollen Station with a then dead 44806

16th April 2008 in the workshops.

The boiler has been removed and the crown stays are being replaced.

Photo John Rutter

LEFT: Taken at Barry on 1st March 1970, and shows 47298 in the company of 34058  Sir Frederick Pile, and GWR 2-8-0 3855. Whilst 47298 escaped in July 1974, 34058 did not leave until July 1986, and 3855 finally departed in August 1987. The rear of the tender on the extreme right belongs to Stanier Crab 42968, now a regular performer at the Severn Valley.

RIGHT: Taken on 26th July 1973, and protective work has commenced. In the intervening three years, the engines have moved around the yard, and 47298 finds itself in the company of (left to right), Black 5 45379, Standard 5 73096 sporting a Patricroft “shedplate”, and the tender back from celebrity 8F 48151.

Photos and captions - Ted Buckley

7298 at Rainhill

Photos - Ted Buckley

Above: 'Branch Line' weekend 1998, and 47298 departs from Carrog with the freight train. (Dave Ford)

Leaving Carrog
with freight

'Branch Line' weekend 1999: a glimpse of the future? 47298 appears to arrive from Corwen with a freight train!

( Photo-Robert Brittle)

A glimpse of the
future?

The final set of photos of 47298, taken on Monday 9th June 1980.  LEFT:  shows the loco on possibly its strangest pilot duty ever, arriving at Manchester Victoria’s old Platform 15, piloting 925 Cheltenham, and 35028 Clan Line (out of shot). All locos were in steam.

SECOND LEFT: shows the loco at rest, just beyond the station’s erstwhile overall roof, now sadly no more.

THIRD LEFT features a very contented driver, dreaming of the old days and the Miles Platting banker, perhaps!

RIGHT: A spirited departure. The driver kindly held back for a few moments whilst the DMU arriving from the opposite direction came to a stand.

All Photos and Captions - Ted Buckley



47298 has now left Llangollen for pastures new